Sunday, April 25, 2010

Oh Arizona, What Have You Done?

Arizona has recently taken drastic measures to try to harness the growing illegal immigration problem in their state. This issue... this issue is so important, feelings are so mixed. It is really hard to look at it and not feel at least the teeniest bit emotional.

I am conservative. I can't help it, it is just who I am. I am so strongly opposed to illegal immigration, and have only had that feeling reinforced after having to deal with the United States Immigration myself (I am a natural born citizen for those wondering). I do not support that Amnesty propositions, and yet- I whole heartedly cannot support THIS bill either.

This bill equates to a civil rights violation on one of the highest levels. I know that there is a lot of focus on this bill 'racially profiling' but that really isn't my biggest beef, as I know personally (and I know immigration and law enforcement is well aware) that illegal immigration happens across the board for people of all races, all nationalities, all colors. The problem I have, is the harassment of ANY law-abiding American civilian, regardless of color.

Police will not simply be asking to ID people who are breaking the law, like traffic violations. They will be stopping people on the street, people walking to the grocery store- anyone, and everyone. Maybe it shouldn't matter to me, but it does. I am not required in this country to carry ANY form of I.D. I, am an American Citizen, and I am 'protected' under the ideology that I am innocent until proven. I don't have to go around proving that I am not guilty. Nor does any other American citizen.

This bill revokes that. It changes that idea. Now ever single person (whether citizen or not, whether legal or not) is required by law to physically carry the documentation that they are in fact 'innocent' in the eyes of the law. Where is the rightness in that? Where is the justice for the PEOPLE of Arizona?

As if the 13 million dollar extra health care tab from illegal immigrants were not enough, as if the added cost for schooling were not enough, as if the loss of taxes from legal people filling these positions were not enough- now the LEGAL people residing there will be forced to deal with harassment and the complete trampling of THEIR rights. That, I cannot support.

It is sickening to me, saddening to me, that Arizona has felt that it has had to take this step. I do not feel that they took it lightly, and I do feel that they have felt neglected by America's government in dealing with this issue. I think the fact that they have 400,000 + illegal people living there is a very real and important issue that they are trying to deal with. How is it that we have allowed this issue to expand so greatly? How is it that we have allowed this to happen to the people of Arizona? How have we allowed it to go on for so long? Why have we left people with the feeling that the ONLY solution they have left is to strip more civil liberties?

Oh Arizona.... what have you done? America, what have you done?

I do not support illegal immigration, I do not support the people who immigrate illegally here. But I do not, cannot and will never support this bill. For humanity, for America and it's ideal values of civilian rights, I cannot.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm sick about this as well. I have friends and near-family members who would be stopped if SC enacted legislation like this. I cannot believe that anyone would write or vote for this without thinking of a certain type of immigrant in mind.

Erica said...

Great blog! I totally agree with you!

Kelley said...

I can not agree enough!

Susan said...

I think you should read the actual bill. I cannot believe all of the misinformation out there. This bill gives the police the same rights that INS ALREADY has the authority to do. The bill does NOT allow police to randomly stop innocent people. They can only ask for documentation ONLY when a crime is being committed. I was strongly opposed to it as well but when I read the facts I changed my mind.

Anonymous said...

I appreciate your pride in being a citizen and in wanting to keep the government from violating civil rights.

But I have to agree with Susan who said to read the bill. I live in Arizona. AND I am in law enforcement. There has to be reasonable suspicion that someone is here illegally before they can be questioned about their immigration status. And if you're a law abiding citizen, this law won't change anything for you. If you are not a citizen and here legally, you are already required by federal law to carry your identification on you at all times to prove you have a right to be here. Most LEGAL aliens are very proud of those documents so what's the harm of asking to see them? It's the ILLEGAL aliens that should be afraid of this law... and why?? Because they know they broke the law when they entered and continue to break it every day that they are present in the US.

ethans_momma06 said...

Anon and Susan. I appreciate your response and I do understand what you are saying. Unfortunatly legal civilians WILL be stopped without having to commit a 'crime' because this new law (rightfully) makes it illegal to be illegal (which you would think would already be a no brainer). What this means is that Law Enforcment will have to have the reasonable suspicion that someone is commiting an illegal act (such as being illegal) to stop ANYBODY. Yes, even law abiding citizens. And THAT is the unfortunate part.

My husband is a LEGAL immigrant, so I am well aware of the fact that he is required by law to carry identiication with him (which he does). I don't have a problem with THAT. However I, as a legal natural born CITIZEN am NOT required by law to carry my papers (birth certificate), and what this means is that if there were suspiciion that I was NOT a legal citizen, that I would be stopped (IMO wrongly because I have done nothing wrong) and if (god forbid) I didn't actually HAVE my id on me (because unless I am driving I am not requred to) then I very well could be taken to jail and detained.

Now, this may be very well for the illegal immigrants. As I mentioned I feel that the situation is horrendous down there, and I feel sorry that they do feel (perhaps righly so) that it has had to come to THIS- but is this bill right for me as a LEGAL citizen?

I do so want for there to be a soltion to the illegal immigration issue that our nation (and most notably the border states) are facing, but I don't think it's right to do so at the expense of the citizens.