Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Religious Indoctrination, Or Looking Out For Spiritual Welfare?

We have had a lot of religious holidays recently, Passover, and Easter and whatnot and as always this has led me to reevaluate what that means to me, as a parent. For most people spirituality is extremely deep, personal... and very individual. With the birth of a child, however, things change. Suddenly what was once only important to YOU and your salvation (whether you believe there is such a thing as salvation or not), leaves you wondering how you are supposed to approach the spirituality of a child. A clean slate. Someone who is entirely dependant on you, someone who is incredibly impressionable.

For some people of faith (whether it be a belief in a God or a belief that any religious belief is false) believe that the only thing to do is to immediately start raising their family with their beliefs and only their beliefs. This worries me. I mean, I see the validity of it- you believe it, you have unshakable reasoning for your belief- it only makes sense that that would be what you teach. I get that. I understand also that some worry about the salvation of their children's everlasting souls and worry or fear that it would be (not only irresponsible) but somewhat sinful for them to not do their part to save their children.

What parent, really, wouldn't want to save their child from the fiery pits of hell if that was an option in their belief?

But I worry that doing so will not enforce any real belief in my child but instead will be... a form of indoctrination. How many people challenge something that they have been told is truth from the moment they were born? How often do you sit there and go -'Wait, is the Earth REALLY round?' How many people questioned that the Earth was flat. Not many did, for many many years. It just was. Do I want that for my child(ren)?

Do I want my children to just accept? Certainly I have a firm belief in a faith. My husband is a member of an organized religion, but doesn't practise, but does believe in God. I think what I want is my child(ren) to enjoy a relationship between them and their 'Creator' that they have actively sought for, found, and forged themselves. And yet, the thought of leaving them alone on that path without guidance worries me as well. After all, I want them to find it, I want them to know, and really faith is an active part of my life and lifestyle!

This is something that I struggle with as a parent, and as an individual who values free thinking. I don't know that I am on the right path, or that I am doing right by my child(ren) spiritually, but I am try. I try to make sure that I put emphasis on science when my son asks one of his millions of 'why' questions, instead of going 'Well God made it that way'. I wont hide my faith, but I will encourage an understanding and learning of other faiths. I will open my home for questions.

I only hope that my children grow spiritually, as I have. I hope that I don't brainwash them into blindly following my faith, although I do hope that they will share it. I am a parent, and I don't know what to do!

No comments: